Support and FAQ
Q: I’m not sure if LIMBO runs on my mac. How can I test it?
Q: Limbo does not perform as well as I hoped for
A: In the settings.txt file you can set the resolution and the target framerate lower. Firstly delete everything below the -identifers- marker and then try “use30hz = true” and a backbufferheight lower than 720.
Q: Limbo doesn’t launch from additional user accounts on my Mac, even though the application is whitelisted
A: This will be fixed in an updated Mac version of the game but until then, you can work around it by going through these steps to allow the Limbo executable to be launched from all user accounts as long as the game is whitelisted:
- Open up the Terminal application on your Mac
- Copy the following line: chmod go+x /Applications/LIMBO.app/Contents/MacOS/Limbo
- Paste it into the Terminal and hit Enter
Q: The graphics are all blocky and messed up on my Mac?
A: The only solution we’ve been able to find is to shut down the computer and start it again. If it doesn't work the first time, please repeat it.
Q: The graphics are all blurry and f’ed up on my mac?
A: Sorry but we won’t be able to fix this soon. If you'd like a refund, please look below at our guide on how to contact Apple. If you bought the game here, please contact us.
Q: LIMBO will no longer get past the loading screen on my Mac?
A: There’s a “hidden” pop up message behind the game window. You’ll need to find the settings.txt and change the game to run in windowed mode. Please follow the next two Q&A’s to solve this:
Q: Where do I find the settings.txt file?
A: It depends on where you bought it and what platform you bought it for:
- PC: C:\Program Files\LIMBO
- PC Steam: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\limbo
- Mac: /Applications/LIMBO.app/Contents/MacOS (you need to right click LIMBO.app and choose “show” contents)
- Mac Steam: “/Users/XXX/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/limbo” XXX being the user that is signed in.
Q: I want to change the resolution or run in windowed mode
A: Limbo is carefully designed for fullscreen 720p, so this is the recommended display setting. However, as some people really like to tweak these things, we have added an option in the settings.txt to change backbuffer size and a setting for running in windowed mode. To run in windowed mode, change “windowedmode = false” to “windowedmode = true”.
Q: There’s no sound on my Mac!?
Please try this rather technical fix (we hope to fix it in our build soon-ish - the reason for the bug is that we didn't expect case sensitive filesystems):
- Right click on the LIMBO.app and choose “show contents”
- Rename the folder data/audio/Mac to data/audio/mac
- And now rename data/audio/mac/Init.bnk to data/audio/mac/init.bnk
Q: Where does LIMBO put my savegame.txt?
A: See these system-specific answers:
- On Mac: It’s placed in “/Users/XXX/Library/Application Support/Limbo/save_game” where XXX is the name of the logged in user.
- On Win7: It’s placed in “C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\LIMBO\save_game” where XXX is the name of the logged in user.
- On Steam PC: It’s placed in “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\XXXXXXXX\48000″ where XXXXXXXX is some ID for the users who has played games on that computer.
Q: Is the game tweaked for keyboard control?
A: Yes, it has been tweaked and thoroughly tested for keyboard. However, a controller can be used (not on Linux) for a better experience. We’ve mainly tested it with the Xbox 360 wired controller on PC. On Mac, we’ve only tested it with the Xbox 360 wired controller along with the driver from Tattiebogle. Please use the newest drivers! (We cannot guarantee controllers working on PC or Mac)
Q: Is it possible to change the controls?
A: Yes, on PC and Mac, it’s possible to change the keyboard layout. Go to the settings.txt file and change the up = “UP”, down = “DOWN”, left = “LEFT” etc. See above to find where the file is =)
Q: Limbo freezes when I jump, what should I do?
A: The problem isn't the jump, but rather the rumble that is caused by landing. Apparently, this is caused by the Motionjoy drivers. Even after uninstalling Motionjoy, the drivers are still in the system. Try and follow this uninstall guide. The game will unfreeze if the controllers are disconnected.
Q: The time stops in LIMBO just before reaching the window.
A: One of our community members has found that the following solves the problem:
- Open NVIDIA Control Panel > 3d Settings > Adjust image settings with preview. Look for “Let the 3D application decide” and check the box.
Q: After launching LIMBO, I cannot get past the “Press any key to start” screen.
A: This can occur if you have software which runs executable files in a “sandbox”, (i.e. Avast Antivirus, Kaspersky Internet Security, many computer protection softwares) which prevents the game from communicating correctly with the keyboard. Add Limbo to your sandbox software’s exception list.
Q: My Mac meets the minimum system requirements but LIMBO runs badly on it.
A1: There are a few laptops that have two graphic cards, and if your Mac is set to have battery life prioritized over performance (ie. Balanced Mode), you’ll experience bad performance. To fix this:
- Go to System Preferences -> Displays.
- Uncheck Automatic Graphics Switching (Lion).
A2: We’ve experienced a few laptops having trouble cooling down, and therefore having bad performance. We’ve successfully used the program smcFanControl to get a higher fan speed and thereby better performance.
Q: I bought LIMBO on the Mac App Store and I’m not satisfied. What do I do?
A: If you have a good reason, Apple should be able to refund you fully. Here’s a guide made by one of our supporters:
- Open the iTunes store in iTunes.
- On the top, right-click on your iTunes account name (usually your email address).
- In the pop-up menu click “account”.
- Under “purchase history” click “see all” to get a list of all your purchases.
- Click the small arrow symbol in the line where your LIMBO purchase is listed.
- Click “Report a problem”.
- Click “Report a problem” again in the line where LIMBO is listed.
- There you can report your problem with the purchase to Apple customer support.
Q: I didn't find an answer for my question - what do I do?
A: Please collect as much information about your problem or issue and send a detailed description to email@example.com. Please include the following:
- Platform (PC, Mac, Xbox, Ps3)
- Place of purchase (Steam, App Store, etc.)
- DxDiag.txt (PC) or System Report (Mac)