Have you experienced anything odd with INSIDE?
Please go through the list of known issues below and see if we already have a solution for you. If that doesn't help, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about your problem.
Support and FAQ
- As always, please use the latest graphics drivers: AMD, Intel, Nvidia.
- Reduce resolution from the in-game menu: Graphics -> Resolution.
- Close all other applications (e.g. Spotify or Chrome can be problematic).
- In Windows Power Options, please select HIGH PERFORMANCE and confirm that “CPU minimum performance” is set to 100% under advanced settings.
- If you use multiple monitors, make sure that you play the game on your main display. If you have a high-refresh rate monitor (e.g. 120Hz), also make sure to set it as the main display in the Windows Screen Resolution dialog.
- AMD R9-300 and newer: in Radeon Settings -> Gaming -> Global Settings, set “Power Efficiency” to “Off”.
- Nvidia (all cards): in the Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings, set Power management Mode to “Prefer maximum performance”. For more information, see this page.
Crashes & Startup Issues
Q: The game crashes/freezes. Help!?
Q: The game won't launch.
A: Check the contents of INSIDE's local files (right-click INSIDE in the Library and go to 'Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files') and make sure that the file curly.dat is there. If it's missing, it might have been incorrectly quarantined by your antivirus software. Restore the file and the game should launch.
Q: The game won't launch but it's showing up in my Task Manager.
A: Try the following:
- Close Steam
- Go to Task Manager and scroll down to the Background Processes section
- Find all Steam tasks and right-click and select 'End task' on all of them
- Go to the folder where Steam is installed and run steam.exe as an administrator
Q: I do not get input from my Steam Controller.
A: Press Steam button -> select Controller Configuration -> Browse Configs -> make sure you have imported the recommended “Official Configuration for INSIDE” layout.
Q: I do not get input when using Steam Link with a wired USB controller (XBox 360 controller, Dual Shock 4 controller, etc).
A: We currently only support using a Steam Controller on the Steam Link streaming box. We are looking into this and will hopefully find a workaround to support other controllers.
Q: There are no shadows in the puzzle where two searchlights pass over pipes above the boy.
Q: The game crashes or looks weird on startup if I enable Nvidia SLI or AMD Crossfire.
A: INSIDE does not currently support dual GPU setups. Please disable multi-gpu before launching the game. For more information, please see this page.
Q: The game has vsync-tears.
A: On Windows7: Try enabling Aero. Also, make sure vsync is not disabled in the driver.
Q: Does FreeSync / GSync work?
Q: Is INSIDE coming to other platforms like Mac, Linux or mobile?
A: Our goal is of course to get INSIDE into the hands of as many gamers as possible, but we can't say anything about other potential platforms at this point. Stay tuned to our newsletter and we'll notify you as soon as we have any updates regarding such matters: